Saturday, July 13, 2013

Crock-pot Curry


Although I have a passion for cooking great food, frequently my schedule of farming, going to markets and writing necessitates limiting my time in the kitchen. But that doesn't mean I can't still eat very, very well. For busy times, as well as those days were heating up the stove would be unbearable, I break out the Crock-pot.

As I have often told customers asking how to cook a certain piece of meat, many know my standard answer is to toss it in a slow cooker with vegetables and liquid of your choosing and walk away for the day. Many times I've gone home to a delicious (and healthy!) hot meal after a long day in the city ensuring others have access to organically and humanely pasture-raised meats.



So, what's on the menu at Painted Hand Farm this week?

Sandra's Summer Crock-Pot Curry
1-2 pounds of meat or meaty bones (cuts work well, but bones give enough flavor yet keep the dish light)
6-8 cups diced summer vegetables (this week is garlic, onion, tomato, eggplant, zucchini and hot peppers)
1 can coconut milk
2 cups liquid (can be water, stock, wine, cider, juice) 
1-2 tablespoons curry paste (red or green)
1/2 cup minced fresh herbs (I like either basil or cilantro)

Layer meat first, herbs next and then vegetables on top. Add liquids and curry paste. I like to shake my curry paste in a jar with some of the liquid to disperse it evenly before pouring over everything. Cover & cook!

It's easy. It's delicious. It's healthy. It won't heat up your kitchen and best of all, it will leave you plenty of time to enjoy summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment